The 2023 - 2024 school year marks the 16th year of the district's Spanish Immersion program. The program at Encinal includes two classes of Spanish immersion in all grades except for 5th Grade this year. The goal of the Spanish Immersion Program is to create bilingual and biliterate students by the end of fifth grade. Children enter the program with many different levels of Spanish fluency. Some children are native Spanish speakers, others have had exposure to Spanish in preschool or with a parent or nanny, and many have had very little or no exposure to Spanish when they begin the program. The native Spanish speakers benefit from learning to read and write in Spanish, deepening their Spanish speaking skills and being class leaders as they help their fellow classmates learn Spanish. The non-native Spanish speakers benefit from becoming fluent in Spanish at the same time as receiving all of the standard curriculum of Encinal School. In fact, by the end of fifth grade, the goal is that immersion students will be performing at grade level in both languages.
All Kindergarten through Fifth grade students that are not in our Spanish Immersion program participate in the World Language classes. Students receive between 45-60 minutes a week of Spanish instruction from our World Language Spanish Specialist teacher - Steven Caringella.
The goal of the K-5 Spanish Specialist Program is to create a globally minded climate throughout the whole school, increase multicultural experiences, strengthen bonds with our Spanish-speaking students, and lay a foundation for future language learning.
More information about Spanish Immersion and World Language at Encinal
- Spanish Immersion Movie
- Spanish Immersion and World Language Information for Parents
- When You Have A Question About Spanish Immersion
- Cuando Tiene Alguna Pregunta Sobre Immersión de Español
- Why Bilingual Are Smarter
- Alphabet: Press the keys to hear each letter, see a picture of a word that starts with that letter and the word pronounced......Presione las teclas para escuchar cada letra, ver una foto de una palabra que empieza por esa letra y la palabra pronunciada.
- Literacy Center Education Network: Spanish literacy and math skills. Interactive and progressive......Alfabetización en español y matemáticas. Interactivo y progresivo.
- MPSI Parent Resource: The website for Menlo Park Immersion parents - created by parents! Learn about summer camps, resources, stay in contact with other parents...check it out!
- National Library of Virtual Manipulatives: The text along the top changes if you need it in another language......El texto a lo largo de los cambios arriba si lo necesita en otro idioma.
- PBS Kids - en Español! PBS Kids offers some of their content in Spanish!.....PBS Kids ofrece algunos de sus contenidos en español!
- Scholastic: Scholastic offers an interactive reading experience. Look for Clifford and an Activities section for dedicated Spanish games......Scholastic ofrece una experiencia de lectura interactiva. Busque Clifford y una sección de actividades dedicadas a los juegos en español.
- Spanish Alphabet: Lists examples of how to pronounce the letters on their own and in both Spanish and English words......Muestra ejemplos de cómo pronunciar las letras por su cuenta y en palabras de Español e Inglés.
- StoryPlace: Online, interactive reading!.....Lectura online, interactivo!
- Vocabulary Flashcards: Flashcards and lists from a wide variety of groups of words (e.g., animals, places, foods, etc)......Relámpagos y las listas de una gran variedad de grupos de palabras (por ejemplo, animales, lugares, comidas, etc.)